It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:18 pm

Welcome
Welcome to antiX-forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Questions and Comments about Iceape Suite
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:03 am 

How can I set a reply flag on emails? (In other words, after I reply to an email, the original mail's summary line would indicate that I’ve replied).

Is Debian not “supporting” Iceape anymore?
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=511477)

If so, how is the AntiX version keeping up-to-date?

Perhaps AntiX’s Iceape is coming from a different repository?

Is the only difference between Iceape and Seamonkey the former’s 100% free software specification?

Is AntiX’s copy of Iceape specially tuned? Seamonkey is pretty snappy most of the time, but Iceape flies on my computer. (I find that Iceape and Seamonkey both have a clean, classic interface, feel faster than Firefox, and avoid the “gimmicky” persona of the latter).

Thanks for any answers!

P.S. - Great idea to set Iceape browser to run Flash scripts only at user request. Flash-laden web pages can make any system feel slow, even if a person has several GB of RAM ...

Post subject: Re: Questions and Comments about Iceape Suite
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:22 pm 

i don't think anyone with debian is maintaining iceape anymore. Antix or debian aren't upto date on iceape perse, since seamonkey is at version 2.4.x and iceape on antix/debian is 2.0.x

I don't really know the difference between the two. I suppose it's the same difference between iceweasel or gnu icecat and firefox

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:33 am 

buttcoffee wrote:
i don't think anyone with debian is maintaining iceape anymore. Antix or debian aren't upto date on iceape perse, since seamonkey is at version 2.4.x and iceape on antix/debian is 2.0.x

There seem to be regular security updates for iceape according to the Debian web site, e.g. http://www.debian.org/security/2011/dsa-2342.en.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:08 pm 

Thanks to all. Yes, I think Debian is ensuring Iceape is patched, but it is essentially stagnating at a Firefox 3.5 level.

I switched to Iceweasel and Claws. I still find Iceweasel uses more resources, but after re-arranging the button bar, and adding Flashblock, I find it comfortable. Looks like Debian Testing just went up to version 8, which is a good thing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:00 pm 

Hello,

I can recommend midori. AntiX is to the even faster than iceape and conserves resources. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:10 pm 

Thanks, male. Yes, I've tried Midori, and it's pretty cool. However, I'm not overly fond of the Chrome-style interface. I've also found Midori a bit buggy, and it seems to be surprisingly resource-intensive when a few tabs are open. But yes, I do have it installed.

Thanks again!