It is currently Tue May 30, 2017 1:01 pm

Welcome
Welcome to antiX-forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Access shares via samba/fuse
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:10 pm 

This is to access windows shares and linux shares using samba. I assume you have a working smb.conf, if not post back for assistance.

First make sure you have the needed apps:

Samba
Fusesmb
smbfs
Samba-common
smbclient

These can be installed via apt-get or synaptic if you prefer. They may pull down other supporting packages so don't worry.

Now once all the packages have been installed create a folder where you want to access your workgroup/network. For me it is /home/me/network but this can be your choice. Right click on it and select properties and choose the permissions you want (read,write,etc)

Next, open /home/username/.fluxbox/startup file. At the end of the list of autostarted applications add:

fusesmb /home/me/network (or the location of the folder you created)

This script can also be placed in .xinitrc if you use multiple window managers but you will need to make it a bash script by adding:
#!/bin/sh

fusesmb /home/me/network

to the top of .xinitrc. This way it will be mounted when X starts regardless of the window manager.

Log out and login, open the folder you created and you should see a folder called "yourworkgroup". Inside you will see another folder for each of the computers on your network and they will list all of their shares.

I think I covered everything but if not let me know. I wanted to put this in the wiki but I still cannot create an account to add/edit.

eriefisher

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:48 am 

Thank you for posting this; I'll try it out in a day or two.

Post subject: Some remarks ...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:56 pm 

First of all, thanks to eriefisher for the article!

please remark that for installation of the mentioned packages their names should be lowercase (Samba => samba)

Following the article delivers a smb connection, but if the shares are not open, you cannot access them. You probably have to create/edit a file ~/.smb/fusesmb.conf

Code:
; Global settings
[global]
; Default username and password
username=bgates
password=takeovertheworld

; List hidden shares
;showhiddenshares=true

; Connection timeout in seconds
timeout = 10

;Interval for updating new shares in minutes
;You may want to set this lower - if you are adding/removing shares a lot.
interval = 10

More information about that file & fusesmb can be found at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FuseSmb

regards, gritibaenz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:08 pm 

Of course you are correct and you will definitely need this config if you are set up to need a login and password. I probably should have not assumed that everyone left their local network shares open or at least mentioned it. Mine are open for local use and I am behind a router so they cannot be accessed from the outside.

Thank you for pointing this out.

eriefisher

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:47 am 

Hi, eriefisher,

I previously had only fusesmb installed with a /home/laptop/Network folder. I would run fusesmb and then I could see my Mepis shares from my other computer on my laptop, but I could not see the laptop in Mepis.

I followed your instructions and now I continue to see the Mepis shared folder, but I can also see the laptop in smb4k on mepis. However, when I click on Laptop to view the files (still on Mepis), a window pops up and asks for authentication data. It won't take any of the usernames and passwords or the root username and password. I have the permissions on the laptop set so that User can Read, Write, and Exec. Group and World can only Read and Exec. Is this correct? I tried to allow Group to exec using rox run as root, but it doesn't seem to allow it to stay. When I r-click the /home/laptop/Network folder in antiX, the permissions don't have Group allowed to write.

I would like to be able to see the files of the laptop on Mepis without using a password.

I did allow apt-get - the install - to use the package maintainers version of smb.conf, I think it was. Usually I would have kept my version. You may want to put a note on what to do at that point in your instructions. I need to quit for the night. I think I found what to edit in my laptop smb.conf file; I'll look at it later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:38 pm 

Hello mariel77.

A couple things you may want to check, first check the permissions of the shared folder on the laptop(sounds as if you did) to make sure they are set read/write via right click in rox and select properties and check the needed permisions. Next I would check the smb.conf is set up correctly. I use a Mepis version only because it has worked for ever and I never let it get overwritten by the maintainers version just for this reasons. I can post it if you wish.

I don't use it but you may also look at setting up a ~/.smb/fusesmb.conf as mentioned by gritibaenz. I have my shares open so I never set this up and just found it complicated things for my local network. You shouldn't need this if your file permissions are set to read/write for everyone and your smb.conf is set to share.

Let me know how you make out.

eriefisher

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:19 am 

Hi, eriefisher,

I found my previous /etc/samba/smb.conf file for my antiX laptop. :)
I made a couple of changes to make it exactly like my Mepis 7 smb.conf, but probably didn't need to.

Now I can copy files from the shares of each computer. I can't write from the laptop to the shares of the mepis computer or vice versa. I think the last time I could write to shares was with mepis 3.4 though, so that's OK.

So your method works well for networking on antiX. I think you would want to put it in the antiX FAQs page. I haven't checked it yet today to see if you did). I don't think you need a login.

My only comment is to mention NOT installing the package maintainer's version of smb.conf even though I really knew better than to do that. :)

Thanks for all your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:50 pm 

Dear all,

I did it, and it worked, but is it possible to make this auto at start-up?

Another question about the same subject. Yesterday I looked (by accident?) in a text-file, at which one could change the permissions from other computers, to acces files in this (AntiX) one. Now I couldn't find that file (age?), again. Anyone who can give me a hint?

ASUS Eee PC 901, Intel Atom CPU N270, 1.6GHz, 1GB, 2x SSD-HD 4GB + 8GB, antiX 13.2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:04 pm 

You can add this to your .xinitrc at the top. Edit this file as a user not root.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

fusesmb /path/to/mount-point

Open a run dial log and enter "leafpad .xinitrc". When it opens add the lines to the top. This will mount your network in the folder you specify when x starts.

Not sure what you mean by changing permissions from another computer. I don't think this can be done unless your logged in to that machine as the user.

The Home of eriefisher erie's blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:42 pm 

Dear Eriefisher,

Sorry for the late reaction, but i was very busy with other things.
Anyway, it was not allowed for me, to save the changes. I tried also to change the permissions in properties, but also that was not possible.

The 2nd question about permission, you did not understand, was because of my English i think. What i meant was, from my desktop PC i would be able to access the Thinkpad (antiX) and look / change files . I saw three items, Music, Shared and Printers and Faxes. When for instance i click on the Music tab, i got the message, i am not authorized to access that map. I can understand that (i think), because, see first tekst-part. By the way, i cann't find the items Music and Shared on the Thinkpad.

ASUS Eee PC 901, Intel Atom CPU N270, 1.6GHz, 1GB, 2x SSD-HD 4GB + 8GB, antiX 13.2.

Post subject: Re: Access shares via samba/fuse
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:57 am 

I don't know if anyone else is having trouble but I have found fuse to be very unstable and unpredictable. I have overcome this by using smbnetfs. Just replace fusesmb with smbnetfs for the command and it should work well.

The Home of eriefisher erie's blog