It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:41 pm

Welcome
Welcome to antiX-forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: antiX-17 - stretch
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:15 am 

i just tested last week antix 17b2, and the most annoying bugs, for me seem to be the 2 concerning booting

1. booting unpacked iso from hdd boots, but cant install to same drive, wich i detailed earlier in this thread
2. booting packed iso, from hdd does not work, boot device is hardcoded to cd/usb

otherwise ... still the best distro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:01 pm 

If you want to install it, why don't you want to use an optical disc or a pendrive to install from?

I'm curious about what you are seeing as a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:10 am 

zpimp wrote:
1. booting unpacked iso from hdd boots, but cant install to same drive, wich i detailed earlier in this thread
There is a trivial change to a script to work around this. Comment out line 328 in /sbin/partition-info:
Code:
        contains_boot_partition $dev && continue
At the time it seemed best not to let people install on the live device they booted from. Part of the motivation for this was that the Linux kernel had recently started naming /dev/sda /dev/sdb and so on differently on some systems when you live boot. Leaving the live system off of the list of installation targets seemed like it was giving the user yet another hint about which device they should install to. I'm not claiming it was the right decision but it does not seem unreasonable, especially since there is an easy work-around for the very rare case where someone legitimately wants to install to the drive they live booted from.
Quote:
2. booting packed iso, from hdd does not work, boot device is hardcoded to cd/usb
Use the "from=hd" boot parameter. Or "from=all". I believe the "Failsafe" boot option does this for you automatically. You can also use something like "bdev=sda1" or "blab=some-label" or even "buuid="abcd123*" to specify the partition to boot from. We probably provide more flexibility in this regard than any other distro.

I've explained numerous times why it is a bad idea for the live system to go poking around internal disks without invitation. Since the clock is seldom set correctly so early in the live boot process, that poking around can result in a bunch of "mysterious" boot-time error messages when the installed Linux systems boot if the partitions that are poked belong to them.

OTOH, I'm not sure what you mean by "booting packed iso". We support booting from an iso file but it is much better to boot from a live-usb made with the live-usb-maker program. If you are running a live system then the live-usb-maker program (both cli and gui) will offer to clone your running system to a new usb stick. This was partly to provide an easy migration path to a full featured live system for people who had to boot from a live-cd/dvd, a "dd" live-usb, or directly from an iso file.