It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:44 pm

Welcome
Welcome to antiX-forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: How to create a remastered ISO?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:54 am 

Hi,
- the remastering of antiX is very simple with #live-remaster
- an bootable USB can be made easily with #live-usb-maker
But how can one create a single ISO for distribution?
Best, Robert

Post subject: Re: How to create a remastered ISO?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:19 am 

robert-m64 wrote:
- the remastering of antiX is very simple with #live-remaster
- an bootable USB can be made easily with #live-usb-maker
But how can one create a single ISO for distribution?
Best, Robert

Use the iso-snapshot program. It should work on live systems as well as installed systems. I know the closely related mx-snapshot program works on live systems.

If you are doing it on a live system then I suggest you place the output file (and intermediate files) in the pre-existing ~/Live-usb-storage directory (if it gives you a choice). This directory uses storage space directory on the live-usb file system so normally there is ample room there and it should be saved automatically across reboots.

We should provide you with a program that would make an iso file directly from a live system, thus avoiding the expensive mksquashfs step but we haven't gotten around to that yet. Maybe call it live-to-iso.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:00 pm 

now that sounds interesting, how would an iso made directly from a live system avoid mksquashfs?

i use mksquashfs and id like to know what trick youre talking about-- even if its some kind of compromise or shortcut that isnt suitable for all use cases.

a simple explanation will do-- details are most welcome, though just a quality hint or two will probably satisfy my question.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:00 am 

figosdev wrote:
now that sounds interesting, how would an iso made directly from a live system avoid mksquashfs?
When you are running from a live-cd, the live-cd is mounted at /live/boot-dev/. If you make an iso image of that directory (using genisoimage, or mkisofs, or xorriso ) then you will get an iso file that matches the one that was used to make the live-cd.

If you boot from a live-usb then it is almost the same and you can make a bootable iso image doing the same thing but first I would pull a few tricks to remove some live-usb things that don't belong in an iso file. The live-usb-maker program already uses these tricks to make a new live-usb when it "clones" a running live system. H'mm. I could probably add this feature to live-usb-maker with a dozen lines of code.

For now, you could probably run live-usb-maker from within a live-usb in clone mode. When it asks "Shall we begin?" then leave it waiting and make an iso file from the directory /run/live-usb-maker/iso/.