It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:51 pm

Welcome
Welcome to antiX-forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: 16.1 GRUB boot parameter VGA=788
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:32 pm 

My first post so firstly, many thanks for this excellent low resource Linux distro.

In antiX 16.1 the default GRUB boot parameter of VGA=788 caused some unwanted results ("fix" explained below) so my question is why is this parameter included by default?

I installed antiX 16.1 on to a qemu disk image using KVM. With the default boot parameter of VGA=788 at startup my VM window was always sized to 1280x720 but the antiX desktop was sized to 1280x768, thus I had to scroll up and down to see the entire desktop.

I "fixed" this by using arandr to create a screenlayout file for the "default" video hardware to specify a screen resolution of 1280x720:
Menu > Outputs > default > Resolution = 1280x720
Menu > Layout > Apply
Menu > Layout > Save As ~/.screenlayout/default_1280x720.sh

I then added this to the desktop session startup file ~/desktop-session/startup:
Menu > Control Centre > Session > User Desktop-Session
# Screen layout files from ARandR
.screenlayout/default_1280x720.sh

If I edit GRUB during boot to remove VGA=788, after startup antiX offers me video hardware Virtual-0 and screen resolutions up to 1920x1080. So I went through the above steps to add a file for this case as well: ~/.screenlayout/Virtual-0_1440x900.sh. I guess I can use update-grub to remove the VGA=788 but just seems like VGA=788 should not be included as a default since it seems to limit available screen resolutions.

Post subject: Re: 16.1 GRUB boot parameter VGA=788
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

It is included by default since some users had the opposite problem of not booting without it. A vga= option is also needed for the live boot splash to work. User can use F7 to set any/none as they wish and this will carry over to install.

Post subject: Re: 16.1 GRUB boot parameter VGA=788
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:13 pm 

Got it. Thanks for the explanation, and tip to use F7, and a very nice distro!