It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:10 pm

Welcome
Welcome to antiX-forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: New conky configuration to try
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:52 am 

I've attached a small tarball that contains a new conkyrc (no leading dot) file to try. You could copy it over your .conkyrc or you could run it as "conky -c conkyrc".

Changes:
  • Added a line to show automount status (will always say "disabled" unless you have D-Os latest automount stuff)
  • Added a line to show current dpi (dots per inch)
  • Moved display resolution to the right, added "res:"
  • Removed extra blank lines between the network graphs and the "Used/Total" table.
  • Added blank lines at the bottom so we won't lose text at the bottom if a network graph shows up after conky has started

Attachments:
new-conky-01.png
new-conky-01.png [ 16.5 KiB | Viewed 629 times ]
new-conkyrc-01.tar.gz [3.69 KiB]
Downloaded 56 times

Post subject: Re: New conky configuration to try
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:13 am 

BitJam wrote:
I've attached a small tarball that contains a new conkyrc (no leading dot) file to try.
Tried and displays info corresponding to your screen shot.

In my attached screen shot, root persistence is active.
Note the first character of root persistence report line is misaligned with the rest of the displayed info.

Conky is probably most useful when displaying dynamic rather than static information. Adding additional static fileds is of questionable value. To the majority of antiX users dpi is likely to be obscure and meaningless. It only becomes relevant when troubleshooting.

antiX already includes an in-house, scripted, GUI driven means of reporting static info (including resolution)
Control Center-->Hardware-->PC Information
dpi (and possibly other static info) is more appropriately and logically suited to inclusion here rather than conky. This leaves the user in a position to add items to conky that have local relevance, rather than a blanket approach of showing info that is largely redundant to most users.

Attachment:
File comment: misaligned report item
antix-16 proposed conky.jpg
antix-16 proposed conky.jpg [ 13.02 KiB | Viewed 585 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:34 pm 

I think everyone will have their own uses for Conky, and that might even change from machine to machine.

Here is what I set up whilst testing b5:

Attachment:
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg [ 30.05 KiB | Viewed 569 times ]

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:16 am 

chrispop99 wrote:
Here is what I set up whilst testing b5:
Thanks for adding that. It succinctly illustrates the point I was trying to make.

Static info has been edited out of the shipped Conky. The trimmed down report has then been enhanced with info that is relevant to the local user/system. The removed info is still available via the Control Center, so it can still be accessed if/when wanted.