It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:04 pm

Welcome
Welcome to antiX-forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Upon login to the desktop, should there be a first run message?
No 31%  31%  [ 5 ]
Yes, only on first run 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Yes, only until you opt out (check button) 44%  44%  [ 7 ]
Yes, until I opt out and display again when there are new items / features from antix within a dist-upgrade 19%  19%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 16
 Post subject: Re: First run / session, questions for antiX 14
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:47 pm 

oops, right there all along and I missed it
Code:
gtkdialog --program=ControlCenter

{ blush }

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:27 pm 

Using AntiX in a School environment I would like to be able to put my own first run message up to give Students a general idea of what to do. Most, if not all of the Students have probably never used any time of Linux so some direction could be helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:05 pm 

OK
A here is a proposal.
desktop-session will allow for startup window. To do this there will be 3 new option in the desktop-session.conf file.
1. Enable/Disable startup window (opt in / opt out)
2. Startup window program location (small yad/gtk dialog app, html document wrapper, leafpad on a text file, etc...) ( allows the user to set whatever they want to display at startup )
3. Enable/Disable Alert of "new" features from a dist-upgrade. ( opt in / opt out of new features in programs or updates to antix documentation )
The window will allways appear in the background in the center of the session ( any window you open will be on top of it. )

The defaults based on the poll results as of this moment ( subject to change ) will be
1. True
2. /usr/local/bin/start-window, a Small window / button in the *background* (Contains text explaining what the button is, the button to open the html docs, and a close button... no decoration, no window manager notification, and no background (if I can).... similar to conky. That way it is there but not....)
3. False

For the 3rd option to work for people that would like to have it... I would opt for a html header page located at /usr/share/antiX/Docs/index.html that links to the online version, or install a local version there ( if there are concerns on network connectivity Example: a doc on setting up wicd will be of poor help linking to the online doc). Any changes done to an online version that coincide with a program change will also need to update the header-doc deb for updating the contents of the "Docs" directory (Maybe set version numbers for the matching program in the link... ). This will also enable the button from number 2 to easilly open the html docs and know that they will be in a common place and antiX specific.