It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:20 pm

Welcome
Welcome to antiX-forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: VirtualBox Guest Additions won't build
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:24 pm 

I just installed antix 12 test as a guest in VirtualBox and I'm having a problem getting the guest additions to build. Here is the error message...
Code:
Uninstalling modules from DKMS
Attempting to install using DKMS

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.8/source ->
                 /usr/src/vboxguest-4.1.8

DKMS: add completed.

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel.  Skipping...

Building module:
cleaning build area....
make KERNELRELEASE=3.2.9-antix.1-486-smp -C /lib/modules/3.2.9-antix.1-486-smp/build M=/var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.8/build....(bad exit status: 2)
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 3.2.9-antix.1-486-smp (i686)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/vboxguest/4.1.8/build/make.log for more information.
Failed to install using DKMS, attempting to install without
make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/3.2.9-antix.1-486-smp/build SUBDIRS=/var/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/var/tmp/vbox.0 modules
/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.9-antix.1-486-smp/arch/x86/Makefile:39: /usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.9-antix.1-486-smp/arch/x86/Makefile_32.cpu: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.2.9-antix.1-486-smp/arch/x86/Makefile_32.cpu'.  Stop.
make: *** [vboxguest] Error 2
Creating user for the Guest Additions.
Creating udev rule for the Guest Additions kernel module.

I ran into the same problem with another Debian spin and they had to change the headers to correct the problem. something to do with Makefile_32.cpu.

any thoughts?
thanks.

Last edited by loukingjr on Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: VirtualBox Guest Additions won't build
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:44 am 

When the 3.2 liquorix kernels came out I had to remove Virtualbox from the host system & reinstall it before DKMS would build the kernel modules correctly. Perhaps this is related ? Does your host have a 3.1 kernel or older ?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:50 am 

tradetaxfree wrote:
When the 3.2 liquorix kernels came out I had to remove Virtualbox from the host system & reinstall it before DKMS would build the kernel modules correctly. Perhaps this is related ? Does your host have a 3.1 kernel or older ?

No, my host is a Mac running OSX 10.7.3. Plus the guest builds the kernel, not the host or VirtualBox.

edit: I forgot to mention I installed the 3.2.0 kernel and headers and the guest additions built and run just fine. I think there's something missing in the 3.2.9 headers which is what happened with the other distro.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:24 am 

I also am trying to install the VB Guest Additions (VB 4.1.16, Antix 12 final). I get exactly the same error messages as in the beginning of this thread. # uname -r says my kernel is 3.5.0-antix.2-486-smp. I've installed every header with the 3.5 number but Antix still can't find the header. I also made sure than gcc, make/automake, dkms, the image, and build-essentials were installed.

I see from my search that this problem has been around for a while. Any hope for a fix?

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:44 am 

If the Antix Kernels have KVM support built in & your CPU supports VT-x / AMD-V you can look at my guide here for running a WinXP Guest.

I've found the performance to be much better than Virtualbox which I no longer use. The other temporary solution is to run the Liquorix Kernel so the Virtualbox Kernel Modules build.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

Run the svmi script as root (in X is ok) and install the non-free wheezy version of Virtualbox (and after the guest option.)

The ose version doesn't seem to build, not sure why (wild guess that is uses gcc/cpp 4.6 rather than 4.7)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:45 pm 

Thank you for the suggestions.

In faith, Dave
Viva Texas