It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:44 pm

Welcome
Welcome to antiX-forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Epson Stylus Color 777 Printer
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:12 am 

I'm trying to hook up a printer to my Dell D600 laptop. I am using the parallel printer cord plugged into the only parallel port on the back of the laptop which I assume is for a printer, since I can't make out the icon that's next to it. It is not hooked up by USB (will any USB cable work, or does it have to be specifically for a printer/Epson printer?), but if any USB cable can be used, I should have one or two laying around here somewhere. I have antiX 8.5 for an OS. I tried to use the "set up a printer" in antiX Control Center, it only gave me two choices, 1. an HP or 2. a generic - I ended up trying to set it up as a "Generic text-only printer", which doesn't work at all - even the print jobs (2 test pages and 1 document) won't show up in the queue. Now I can't find out a way to remove it so I can start over. This is my first attempt to install a printer to the laptop. I don't have an install CD from Epson, so I don't have the drivers for it. I've tried to use localhost:631 for CUPS, but it only locates the "generic text-only printer" that is listed, regardless of the fact that I tried to "Add New Printer".
What I need:
1. How do I remove the old printer entry so there won't be a printer shown? If this can be done at a terminal, I'd like to know what commands to use and what directory/files/etc. that I need to use in Nano.
2. How do I set up a printer that isn't an HP and isn't generic (at least I wouldn't think an Epson would be considered generic)?

Any workable suggestions would be recieved with much joy and appreciation!

Post subject: Re: Epson Stylus Color 777 Printer
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:02 pm 

1. Using CUPs localhost:631 go to the "printers" tab and click on your printer. Under the "administration" tab, delete your existing printer.

2. Install the "cups-driver-gutenprint" package from the repositories. This is supposed to contain the driver for your printer.

3. Set up your printer using the CUPs localhost:631 interface.

Post subject: Re: Epson Stylus Color 777 Printer
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:43 am 

Thank you, afab4, I've been out of town and couldn't get online with WICD (don't know why ???) I appreciate the advice.