It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:22 am

Welcome
Welcome to antiX-forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Full apt-get dist-upgrade and I can't login to Antix
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:40 pm 

Okay guys, I've got a real kicker for you now. Currently I'm logged in my computer from the live cd. I've been wanting to upgrade to a licorix (sp?) kernel but in order to do this through smxi, it suggests that I do a full dist-upgrade first.

Okay, first I logged out of the gui portion of antix, started smxi and started going through the dist-upgrade portion of it. Then I get to installing other desktops, and whatever else portions of installations that it allows me to do. I follow each one number by number, until I make sure I setup my system the way I think I want it. (although I'm a newb to all this and really don't know what the heck I'm doing). once I'm done with the dist-upgrade and reboot, it stops at the login prompt, telling me that it can't find the x server and says no screens can be found.

Now, screens in this case, I'm guessing, is/are the gui portion of the o/s, right? or am I way off base here.

I really don't have a lot of time right now to add more information to this. But I will try to get more info later. it will have to be wrote down and retyped as I'm not sure how to run the live cd from "dos" so to speak on Linux.

Just thought I'd give you eggheads out there something to think about for the day though. Good luck. I'll be back.

Post subject: Re: Full apt-get dist-upgrade and I can't login to Antix
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

Probably you need to install new drivers.
Boot again at choose the init-3 option, login as root and run smxi again and install drivers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:49 am 

well, I tried the reboot, chose the init-3 option, and all that. but I upgraded to the liquorix kernel and there is no video driver for my nVidia video card. I guess somethings just don't get updated. oh well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:00 pm 

If you can boot into stock kernel that works Phillipy. I encountered same problems on old gear updating to liqourix kernel. I fixed the login issue by deleteing Liqourix kernel and going with a Custom kernel 2.6.34 made by Stevo at Mepis forums.

My thread here on that.

http://antix.freeforums.org/update-via-smxi-to-liiqourix-2-6-35-kernel-slim-fails-at-log-t2585.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:56 pm 

Umm... This may not be the most helpful thing for your current situation, but next time, you can just add the liquorix repository to your source list and install it without going through smxi.

http://liquorix.net/

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:34 am 

I've decided to abandon all use of M8.5 and download and install M11. and so far, everything is running MUCH better. I've also installed a "ATI Rage 128 Pro Ultra TF" video card.