It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:41 pm

Welcome
Welcome to antiX-forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: 486 vs. 686
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:04 am 

Can someone please provide a simple explanation on how to decide whether to try the 486 or 686 version of Antix 8.5? I would be MOST grateful, particularly if someone posted an answer that I could understand. (Written on a very old Thinkpad running Lysistrata).

Post subject: Re: 486 vs. 686
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:58 pm 

Very old processors like Pentium I and AMD K5 and K6 are an older architecture than i686, which was introduced with Pentium Pro. They need a kernel compatible for them, the 486. All other CPU's can use the 686.
For more modern CPUs (AMD x64 and Some Pentium IV and beyond) there's the amd64 compatible kernel (not in antiX). Any CPU can use a kernel built for an earlier architecture but not for a newer.

Post subject: Re: 486 vs. 686
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:23 pm 

Thanks a lot. Much appreciated.