It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:48 am

Welcome
Welcome to antiX-forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Open a file as root?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:28 pm 

Excuse my ignorance.Somewhere is a default option,how to set it?Or the best polished way to do it?

Post subject: Re: Open a file as root?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:46 pm 

If you use the SpaceFM File Manager:

Right click the file ------> Open -------> Edit as Root

Debian packages are here on Github - or add the sources & install via Synaptic.

Last edited by tradetaxfree on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:22 pm 

I use gexec and check the tab as root. Open Geany or Leafpad. Open the file from there.

or like my terminal screenshot.

Attachment:
root_file_open-thumb.jpg
root_file_open-thumb.jpg [ 55.49 KiB | Viewed 3241 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:24 pm 

@tradetaxfree:I have not option 'open as..' in the filer.Not in Rox,neither in Nautilus or Thunar.
@Antix:also possible search and operate with files in a root terminal,but I have preferred less machinery to do,just in the
filer window.I know it's possible but it's a config file to edit,not at my level.
Actually I open with gksu the application to manage the file or the filer itself,it's useful to edit /home files from another distro to make an example.
It is just how to enable the above said "open as" option I would like to know,please.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:16 pm 

Hi Rosa,

I have posted instructions here for installing the qtFM File Manager & setting the Custom Actions so you can "Edit as Root" & also extract archives / open deb files with Gdebi.

For setting Custom Actions in Thunar see here

Quote:
Thunar allows users to add custom actions to the file and folder context menus . You can setup new actions in the Custom Actions dialog, available via the Configure custom actions… item in the Edit menu.

Editing as root

Name: Edit as root
Command: gksu put-your-favourite-text-editor-here %f
File pattern: *
Appears if selection contains: Text files

Note: You'll need to replace put-your-favourite-text-editor-here with your favourite text editor (e.g. mousepad or geany).

Last edited by tradetaxfree on Tue May 01, 2012 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

spacefm is also a good alternative that has an edit as root option when you click on a file. (it is in the Open part).
Rox doesn't have this, though it can be set up. have a look here, on page 2 Open With

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=22864&