It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:56 pm

Welcome
Welcome to antiX-forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Network installation?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:39 pm 

I'm trying to make good use of an old 700Mhz PIII laptop with 384Mb RAM, which I think AntiX would run really well on. The problem is that the CD drive is defective and I can't boot from it.

I managed to install Ubuntu on the laptop with a network installation using PXE, but I don't know whether that is possible with AntiX - there does not appear to be the equivalent of the 'netboot' folder containing the various boot files which are served up to the client computer via tftp.

Has anyone tried this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

You can't install antiX from a net-install, but you may wish to try an install fromiso. You will need a spare partition and a working grub to do so.

http://antix.mepis.com/index.php/Installation_Tips

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:28 pm 

This sounds promising. I have Ubuntu Server on the laptop at present, in a single partition. I wonder whether I would be able to partition the disk having booted up in Ubuntu? If so, I could presumably then create a small partition just for the AntiX stuff and replace the Ubuntu installation once the AntiX process is underway?

The ability to do a network install would actually be a particularly handy thing for AntiX, though, I reckon, because it's most likely to be used on the very machines which are likely to have no CD drives - minimal or stripped down hardware.