It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:02 pm

Welcome
Welcome to antiX-forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: How do I make Rox permanent
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:21 am 

eriefisher wrote:
Look in your home directory, It will write the file there. easier to read than scrolling through the terminal.

Well, its definitely getting closer to a laptop that would comply with my childrens wishes. I have gimp, openoffice, and java enabled, and the desktop looks fairly nice (I haven't looked into the wallpaper thing yet, though). And, the laptop is still fairly responsive, even when using Iceweasel and openoffice at the same time.

However, how do I make the laptop start IceVM automatically on boot, instead of Fluxbox?

And is there a way to log the user in automatically, instead of via password (there won't be any sensitive data on the laptop)? Also, would it even be possible to start up with an open textfile, telling who we are and how to contact us, if the laptop is found by someone else?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:34 am 
Site Admin

1. To start icewm as default, edit the /home/username/.xinitrc file
Change the line with the * to exec icewm-session

2. The latest version of SLiM login manager used in antiX does allow autologin. You will have to untar it from their website and edit the /etc/slim.conf file. (antiX-M8-test2 comes with this by default). If you need further help, just ask.

3. You can do this by adding something like this to icewm/startup file

leafpad /home/username/test/hello.txt &

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:46 am 

anticapitalista wrote:
1. To start icewm as default, edit the /home/username/.xinitrc file
Change the line with the * to exec icewm-session

2. The latest version of SLiM login manager used in antiX does allow autologin. You will have to untar it from their website and edit the /etc/slim.conf file. (antiX-M8-test2 comes with this by default). If you need further help, just ask.

3. You can do this by adding something like this to icewm/startup file

leafpad /home/username/test/hello.txt &

1) and 3) are done - thanks a lot. But this untar thing, I will need to hear more about.... (is it correct to assume, that the testing version antiX-M8-test2 is quite unstable?)

Also - is there another way than Conky to have the same info (possibly in a slightly more pretty way, like I am used to - but still ressouce-light of course, since this is not exactly a power-laptop?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:23 am 

anticapitalista wrote:

To set the rox-desktop background you will have to install the rox wallpaper app

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=21456

OK - I downloaded the package to my Rox directory. So now I have a package called Wallpaper-2.3-tar.gz lying there. How should I proceed?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
OK - I downloaded the package to my Rox directory. So now I have a package called Wallpaper-2.3-tar.gz lying there. How should I proceed?

Just click on it and it should automatically untar itself.

Quote:
(is it correct to assume, that the testing version antiX-M8-test2 is quite unstable?)

Not really unstable, but being tested for bugs. Like its parent MEPIS, antiX tries very hard to be stable and almost ready even when testing, unlike some other big name distros that should know better IMO.

Quote:
Also - is there another way than Conky to have the same info (possibly in a slightly more pretty way, like I am used to - but still ressouce-light of course, since this is not exactly a power-laptop?

There is an app called gkrellm http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bil ... rellm.html
that you might like. It is in synaptic.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:35 pm 

anticapitalista wrote:

Not really unstable, but being tested for bugs. Like its parent MEPIS, antiX tries very hard to be stable and almost ready even when testing, unlike some other big name distros that should know better IMO.

There is an app called gkrellm http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bil ... rellm.html
that you might like. It is in synaptic.

OK - I am downloading the 8-test2 version. If nothing else, it will be healthy to do the install again (get some training). I am quite impressed - linux is not that difficult (well, so far, anyway). I may install it on a couple more computers in due time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:33 pm 

Danish, glad that you have been having good results with antiX so far, enough so to give the Test 2 build a try. I downloaded it this past weekend and I found it to be the best looking implementation of antiX yet, and though I did not test every possible feature, the features that I did use worked immediately and as expected. The menus are slightly improved over previous releases, the default window manager is slightly easier to use, and various features continue to be honed and further improved.

I think you will like this test release, but do let us know what you think of it, and if you should happen to find something that does not work the way you hoped or expected it to work, write to us, describing what you see and what you thought you would see, and we will be glad to discuss it with you. That is how we make things better and better. It is pretty good even now, but with fine new sets of eyes, such as yours, to take a fresh look at things, it is bound to get even better.

Looking forward to seeing you around here!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:19 pm 

masinick wrote:
Danish, glad that you have been having good results with antiX so far, enough so to give the Test 2 build a try. I downloaded it this past weekend and I found it to be the best looking implementation of antiX yet, and though I did not test every possible feature, the features that I did use worked immediately and as expected. The menus are slightly improved over previous releases, the default window manager is slightly easier to use, and various features continue to be honed and further improved.

I think you will like this test release, but do let us know what you think of it, and if you should happen to find something that does not work the way you hoped or expected it to work, write to us, describing what you see and what you thought you would see, and we will be glad to discuss it with you. That is how we make things better and better. It is pretty good even now, but with fine new sets of eyes, such as yours, to take a fresh look at things, it is bound to get even better.

Looking forward to seeing you around here!

OK - I have installed it now. This new version is b-e-a-utiful :) It does use about 5 mb RAM more on my mashine, but no worries! And I like that IceVM is default. Also, there was a subtle improvement on connecting to the wireless network - that small change is an improvement if you ask me (even easier to connect).

Also, I notice the small cpu-meter in the panel, next to the clock. But why only a cpu-meter? Why not also check on memory, battery and in internet-connections - that way conky would be obsolete, making it easier to switch to Rox Pinboard ON. Anyway, I am just getting greedy. But, I sure like the new design.....

Also, I now understand, that I posted my original post the wrong place, so I should probably move my questions to the correct thread.

One last thought - why do you keep the install option in the menu, after the install. I remove that, since I find it a bit illogical!??!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:26 am 
Site Admin

To answer the last part of your post
Quote:
why do you keep the install option in the menu, after the install. I remove that, since I find it a bit illogical!??!

Hey, the user has to do something ! ;)

The reason it is there is because there is no easy way to remove it if we want a customised icewm/fluxbox menu. I'm sure there is a way, and if you know, please let us know.

You are not being greedy with your suggestions. Personally I use fluxbox over icewm and prefer its absolute minimalism with no dock apps/panel etc. If you (or anyone reading this) know of a way to incorporate this in icewm, then again let us know.

Glad that you like M8-test2. Yes it does use more RAM than M7.5, due to the newer kernel I guess.

Have fun with antiX.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:48 am 

Not sure about the battery but I'm sure you can add network and ram usage.

For battery there is xbattbar-acpi. It places a line on the bottom of the screen and changes colour with amount of charge.

The Home of eriefisher erie's blog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:45 am 

There is a way to enable a network monitor. Around line 266 in the preferences file, edit as follows:

Code:
#  Show network status on task bar (Linux only)
TaskBarShowNetStatus=1 # 0/1

And for the battery monitor, around line 214 edit:

Code:
#  Show APM/ACPI/Battery/Power status monitor on task bar
TaskBarShowAPMStatus=1 # 0/1

But it's not graphical if I remember correctly. Just a percentage.

john

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:29 pm 

OU812 wrote:
There is a way to enable a network monitor. Around line 266 in the preferences file, edit as follows:

Code:

Code:

john

OK, you got me there. I can find a /usr/include/panel.h file, but I can't seem to find the preferences file you are referring to......

Edit: ok, I found it - the preferences for IceVM of course....

Last edited by danish on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

Control center ->Edit icewm settings -> preferences tab

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:06 pm 

anticapitalista wrote:
To answer the last part of your post
Quote:
why do you keep the install option in the menu, after the install. I remove that, since I find it a bit illogical!??!/quote]

Hey, the user has to do something ! ;)

The reason it is there is because there is no easy way to remove it if we want a customised icewm/fluxbox menu. I'm sure there is a way, and if you know, please let us know.

You are not being greedy with your suggestions. Personally I use fluxbox over icewm and prefer its absolute minimalism with no dock apps/panel etc. If you (or anyone reading this) know of a way to incorporate this in icewm, then again let us know.

Glad that you like M8-test2. Yes it does use more RAM than M7.5, due to the newer kernel I guess.

Have fun with antiX.

I wouldn't know anything about, how hard it is to edit the menu during install. But I just comment the last parts of /.icevm/menu and gone it is (that's where I translate into danish, as well). But surely, you know that possibility.....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:19 pm 

OU812 wrote:

Code:

Code:

john

OK - I changed the settings to:

Code:

#  Show APM status on task bar in time-format
TaskBarShowAPMTime=1 # 0/1

and

Code:

But there is not really anything to see on the panel. Am I doing it wrong?

LATER EDIT: After a reboot, there is a black space in the taskbar, with room for 3 tasks - but nothing in them. On mouse over a small yellowish square appear on top of the middle of the black space??????