It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:31 pm

Welcome
Welcome to antiX-forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: dhcpclient hangs on boot
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

In Lysistrata some users have found that there is a long delay when dhcpclient connects to the network, either using antiX as livecd or installed.

Here are some solutions.

1. For livecd and installed, use cheat code mean. This disables network connection on boot up and once at the desktop,
Either a)
open a terminal, su to root and type
dhclient
or
dhclient [name of your connection point ie eth0]

Or b)
Menu>Admin/tools>Mepis Admin>Network

and set up from there.

2. When you get to the dhcpclient part on boot, after it has clearly finished, press Ctrl c. This should continue the boot and network should work.

3. For an installed antiX, add cheat code mean to the /boot/grub/menu.lst so it looks something like this

title MEPIS at sda4, kernel 2.6.22-1-mepis-smp
root (hd0,3)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-1-mepis-smp root=/dev/sda4 mean nomce quiet splash vga=791
boot

and also add this line to the end of /etc/rc.local

dhclient &

This connects you to the net after login.

Last edited by anticapitalista on Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: dhcpclient hangs on boot
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:33 am 

anticapitalista wrote:
add 'dhclient &' to the end of /etc/rc.local

Since I'm not using DHCP, I'll have to guess - but would a cheatcode like 'mean dhcX' (similar to 'mean eth0'), resulting in the beforementioned edition getting done "automatically", be of avail?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

We could give it a try UnicornRider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:37 pm 

anticapitalista wrote:
give it a try

1st attempt (to be tested ...): http://penguin.ch/plan_b/scripts/x_files/planb_rc-5.sh 8)
boot code: [mean] dhcX (the latter to make sure we're not clashing with these codes).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

Tested using mean dhcX cheatcode and it does stop dhcp. But at desktop, I had to manually add the dhclient&
to /etc/rc.local

Once I had done this, rebooted and chose mean dhcX

at desktop opening iceweasel takes me to a page :D

However, even without the dhcX part of the cheatcode and rc.local with dhclient& added, works too. So the dhcX part isn't doing much extra, except it gives a nice message saying that dhclient is being delayed.

Now is it a good idea if by adding the mean dhcX cheatcode, it also adds dhclient& to /etc/rc.local ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:12 pm 

anticapitalista wrote:
Now is it a good idea if by adding the mean dhcX cheatcode, it also adds dhclient& to /etc/rc.local ?

Without this, the whole addition would be pointless - mean already "kills" DHCP, and the dhcX addition is meant to change this into a "mere delay" ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

I meant should there be another script or section of the script that automates this when dhcX is selected?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:29 pm 

anticapitalista wrote:
should there be another script or section of the script that automates this

O.k., now I see ... the code you're looking for is to be found in line 54 et sqq. of the (updated) init script.

Last edited by UnicornRider on Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

Success!

The present script does as it should and writes to /etc/rc.local the necessary line.
Brilliant!

Now the 'contra' is needed.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:52 pm 

anticapitalista wrote:
Brilliant!

I'm not really convinced: what should happen on reboot with no cheat code but DHCP still meant to be used? Removing the entry from rc.local would be consistent with the rest of my code - but obviously stupid :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

UnicornRider wrote:

I'm not really convinced: what should happen on reboot with no cheat code but DHCP still meant to be used? Removing the entry from rc.local would be consistent with the rest of my code - but obviously stupid :?

Hmm, come to think of it, it does seem stupid to remove the entry from rc.local as this script is supposed to be a permanent solution for those having problems with dhcpclient at boot.
For those that just need internet connection from livecd, the changes to rc.local get lost anyway in a new session.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:27 am 

anticapitalista wrote:
this script is supposed to be a permanent solution for those having problems with dhcpclient at boot

If (similar to the kbd=) people were willing to add mean dhcX to their list of boot codes (read: menu.lst) on a permanent base, I could figure out a working script (read: update to the given ones).

Does this sound like an acceptable compromise? (The actual code I would be able to write today if you want me to.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think it is necessary UnicornRider. The script works fine as it is and this dhcpclient issue doesn't effect everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:00 pm 

anticapitalista wrote:
The script works fine as it is

Actually, it's half-done at best (which is why it's not included in my official code): no checks for double entries, no option to automatically remove the addition, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:10 pm 
Site Admin

You know best about the code. I'm hoping to upload antiX-M7.01.iso sometime after Xmas, but before the New Year with your code included.
If you think it needs refinement and you can do so for then, fantastic. Otherwise I 'll include what you have done so far, ans the new changes will be added for antiX-M7.5.