It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:46 am

Welcome
Welcome to antiX-forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: bug reports for antiX-M7.01
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:52 am 
Site Admin

Here's the first 'bug'.

If you want to install nvidia or ati drivers via the Mepis Xconfig tool, you will need to enable the Mepis repos in /etc/apt/sources.list first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:25 am 

When I was using the live CD, I opened xfe while in IceWM. Xfe was missing the top bar that's normally there on a window. Is that a bug or a feature? :)

EDIT: Today I discovered that the top bar isn't missing, but was pushed off the screen. This may be an IceWM issue, as I have noticed that the windows of some apps are often positioned such that part of the window is off-screen. That's with IceWM under Debian Sarge.

Phil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:02 pm 

Today I installed Antix onto my desktop (replacing Xubuntu Gutsy) and came up against a few problems. 1st is easy. I use a Zydas wireless adapter (USB) whose driver is part of the Linux kernel. The firmware should be in /lib/firmware/zd1211 but in Antix the folder is missing and the firmware is directly in /lib/firmware/. Unfortunately the driver won't load unless the zd1211 folder is present and the firmware inside it. I don't know if this is a Mepis thing or specific to Antix but either way it's an easy fix.

Problem No.2: this was a stinker. My desktop connects to the router wirelessly, all good once the firmware issue above was dealt with. It also has an ethernet port which I use for my LAN so I need to run a DHCP server with static IP so I can set up NAT. The /etc/network/interfaces files is heavily modified in Mepis so that the mnetwork tool can work. It is possible to allocate a static IP, but allocating one without a gateway specified (as required for DHCP server) causes mnetwork to fail (killing all connections) because it requires one to be specified in /etc/network/interfaces. As long as mnetwork and its version of the interfaces file is in place the DHCP server fails to start. I ended up having to remove --purge mnetwork and replace it with the network-manager backend. It seems mnetwork is fine for desktop use but not once you need to serve DHCP.

3rd problem: I wanted to preserve all the important data in /home when changing to Antix. I removed all the Xubuntu config files including .xinitrc, .ICEauthority and so on so that I was left with my personal data and some data+config files for stuff like my browser settings, email client, feedreader etc. On installing Antix the first time I followed the option to re-use home but the installer failed to write .fluxbox, .xinitrc and so on, so I had to log on in the shell and then startX. On 2nd install attempt (all my /home is backed up) I allowed the installer to format /home and it worked as expected (but left me the task of copying about 35GB of data from my backups). It seems to me that the installer can only re-use /home if it's the home of a previous Antix/Mepis install, otherwise it installs / but adds nothing to /home.