It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:46 am

Welcome
Welcome to antiX-forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Which browser(s) do you use in antiX? (and why)
iceape (default) 13%  13%  [ 12 ]
iceweasel 22%  22%  [ 20 ]
firefox 10%  10%  [ 9 ]
opera 12%  12%  [ 11 ]
chrome 10%  10%  [ 9 ]
midori 10%  10%  [ 9 ]
kazehakase 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
dillo 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
other (please state) 13%  13%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 89
 Post subject: Re: Browsers
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:13 pm 

I just voted for Firefox since I recently installed 4.0beta1 (run from its folder).
Talking about Chromium, I find Chrome nice to see docs too since it renders pages elegantly (don't have it installed in antiX).
Links2 is very good from the console.

-Forgot to say, Iceweasel is as stable as it can be in my Debian Sid (also Chrome works very well).
For anyone interested in Midori, I like it but it's still improving very fast and I wouldn't recommend nothing less than the latest version (I had to compile it; didn't check if it's in the experimental repo).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:27 pm 

as we know there are no of browser into the market. so each and every browser has own capability and its own functionality.browser stats are of limited use to designers. 1st, stats will vary from site to site, so it is only the stats for your sites which matter. 2nd, stats can be skewed by many factors, so the true numbers may be higher or lower than the numbers reported. 3rd, and most important, browser stats are really only useful to designers when deciding which browsers are so little used that they need no longer be supported: it may be entertaining to know, for example, how well Chrome, Firefox, and Safari are competing with Internet Explorer, but so long as the numbers are large enough that the browsers must be supported, the exact numbers are irrelevant to the design.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:25 am 

I just want to note that since my last post, I had taken some time to further familiarize myself with IceApe and it seemed like it could be a viable browser option for me-- if not for the lack of a Zoom Text Only option.

I just don't understand this; it is rare that I don't have to zoom text in order to make it comfortably-readable and enlarging the images only distorts them.

Also, there was a problem with importing and/or exporting bookmarks in the JSON file format that is the default in Firefox.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:35 am 

Digital_Resistance wrote:
I just want to note that since my last post, I had taken some time to further familiarize myself with IceApe and it seemed like it could be a viable browser option for me-- if not for the lack of a Zoom Text Only option.

I just don't understand this; it is rare that I don't have to zoom text in order to make it comfortably-readable and enlarging the images only distorts them.

Also, there was a problem with importing and/or exporting bookmarks in the JSON file format that is the default in Firefox.

There are multiple ways to change font sizes with Seamonkey (a.k.a. the Debian Iceape browser). Same technique as Firefox: Ctrl + increases the font size, Ctrl - decreases the font size, and Ctrl 0 returns to the standard size. Using the Preferences menu (in the Edit section) you can change the font style and size, and set a minimum font size). Is that what you are looking for? Firefox, Iceweasel, Seamonkey, Iceape, Chrome, and Chromium all use these control sequences, for what it is worth.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:44 am 

masinick wrote:
Same technique as Firefox: Ctrl + increases the font size, Ctrl - decreases the font size, and Ctrl 0 returns to the standard size.

Thanks for replying.

I was referring-to how in IceApe/SeaMonkey, using Ctrl +/- not only zooms the text but the entire page. (and doing that degrades and distorts all of the images on the page)

In contrast, Firefox and IceWeasel have a Zoom Text Only (View > Zoom > Zoom Text Only) option. When this is selected, Ctrl +/- affects only the text on the page but not the images.

I'll also mention that while it's been a long time since I tried Opera, I definitely recall it having an equivalent (or at least comparable) option.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:11 am 

I do not know of any option other than increasing the font sizes to change text size in Iceape or Seamonkey without also changing the size of everything on the page. That is apparently one feature that some of the other browsers have over the classic interface, though it is not that difficult to change the font size, but if you go back and forth on sizes, I could see where that would be slow and inconvenient. Perhaps setting a minimal font size that is at least readable would help matters somewhat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:58 pm 

Dillo, midori and iceape. No favourites, but depends on the situation. Faster, features, one works, the other doesn't, oy. Depends.
Cli--- lynx for viewing within mc very often

Last edited by drg on Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:59 am 

I use Iceape because it's the default. I like it though because it is different. Like antiX . In my linux experience, I have not encountered any other distros with it. It works well, it does what its supposed to do, it is no nonsense and it makes my kids smirk with its name.

The one feature that I do miss; however, is the tabbed browser feature that Iceweasel/Firefox has. But other than that, I'm good with Iceape.
-Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:04 am 

Cuttlefish, iceape does tabbed browsing, it just isn't set up that way be default. GO to edit, then preferences, then tabbed browsing and set it up however you like.

lenovo s21e - 2gb ram, celeron - antiX-16 64 bit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:10 am 

As dolphin_oracle said. My Iceape is tweaked to the max.

Attachment:
screenshoticeape-thumb.jpg
screenshoticeape-thumb.jpg [ 34.45 KiB | Viewed 2919 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:21 am 

Cool. Thanks all for setting me straight.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:31 pm 

While we are talking about browsers, I've lately been using google-chrome. I used exoodles ( run from root cli) to set it up. It is very much improved in the stability department, and the menu entry now shows up correctly in the fluxbox menu under "internet".

lenovo s21e - 2gb ram, celeron - antiX-16 64 bit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:29 pm 

I tried chromium from synaptic last night in M11 p1. I was really impressed at how quickly it rendered web pages.
Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:58 am 

Found in squeeze, minimalist gui browsers, and something different
-chimera2
-uzbl (need to read their readables http://www.uzbl.org and /usr/share/doc/uzbl )

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:24 am 

firefox with the weather was getting too heavy, and still prefer iceape midori

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next